Holy Trinity Church, St. Andrews

linked with Boarhills & Dunino

A Parish Church of St. Andrews

Stained-glass windows are an important integral feature of any church building. Their tracery and glazing form part of the architecture but are also a teaching aid – as much for us today as they were in the Middle Ages. The stories depicted and the symbolism used helps to teach about Faith and preach the Gospel. But they are also incredibly beautiful and have a magical quality of light. At various times of the day, rainbows can be seen throughout Holy Trinity as the light beams through the stained-glass.

All the stained-glass windows in Holy Trinity are memorial windows given by generous donors and dedicated in the first instance to the glory of God. Of all the stained-glass windows in Holy Trinity, only 3 out of 11 were in position at the time of the rededication of the church in 1909. The artist commissioned to make the stained-glass windows at the time of the rebuild were at the top of their profession.

The positioning of stained-glass windows within a church usually run to a pattern. Traditionally, windows have been positioned together with New Testament stories and their related Old Testament stories side-by-side or opposite each other. (OT on the north side and NT on the south side). In Holy Trinity, the stained-glass windows are carefully grouped.

The Great East Window illustrates the Te Deum Laudamus (We Praise Thee O God) canticle, and the north transept window depicts the Benedicite Omnia Opera (O all ye works of the Lord bless ye the Lord) canticle. The north aisle windows depict Old Testament Heroes, while the windows in the Hunter Memorial Aisle and the south aisle illustrate the life and works of Christ. The main south transept window represents Resurrection and Ascension, while the great west window remembers the work of women for Christ and His Church.

Scotland has a long and rich heritage of stained glass. Commercial studios throughout the country have nurtured many talented designers, including Robert Douglas Strachan (known as Douglas Strachan), Louis Davis, Reginald Hallward and James Powell & Sons. Holy Trinity is literally a treasure house of 20th Century stained-glass art.

The image below shows the positioning of the stained-glass windows within Holy Trinity which can be used when touring the church.

Stained-glass windows of Holy Trinity:

  1. The Boy Christ – Douglas Strachan, 1912
  2. The Early Leaders of Israel – Douglas Strahan, 1920
  3. Three Old Testament Kings – Douglas Strachan, 1923
  4. The Perfect Woman – Douglas Strachan, 1918
  5. The Perfect Knight – Douglas Strachan, 1920
  6. Benedicite Omnia Opera – James Powell & Sons, 1912
  7. Christ Heals the Blind Man – Herbert Hendrie, 1930
  8. Abraham & Melchisidec – Douglas Strachan, 1923
  9. The Minor Prophets – Douglas Strachan, 1922
  10. The Good Physician – A Ballantine & Son, 1890
  11. The Great East Window – Douglas Strachan
  12. The Miracles – Douglas Strachan, 1910
  13. The Whole Armour of God – William Wilson, 1950
  14. The Crucifixion
  15. The Agony of Gethsemane
  16. The Baptism of Christ
  17. The Nativity
  18. Justice – Douglas Strachan, 1926
  19. The Resurrection and Ascension – Reginald Hallward, 1912
  20. St Thomas – Sax Shaw, 1968
  21. St Margaret – Sax Shaw, 1968
  22. Jesus Christ – Herbert Hendrie, 1928
  23. St Paul & Daniel – Alexander Strachan, 1921
  24. Christ’s Mission to the World – James Powell & Sons, 1912
  25. Christ’s Mission to Children – James Powell & Sons, 1912
  26. The Great West Window – Douglas Strachan, 1914

The Clerestory contains 17 World War I Memorial windows, each depicting a badge of a regiment. The 12 Scottish Regimental badges are accompanied by a thistle, but the others include a rose and shamrock. The artist of these windows was Alexander Strachan.

We have a booklet available for sale in the church with more information about the stained-glass windows of Holy Trinity and we hope you will come an enjoy a tour of our beautiful building with its stunning stained-glass windows.